Pages, our family

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Great Parenting Books

I have recently read 2 more great books on homeschooling. Beyond Survival by: Diana Waring and Home Educating with Confidence by: Rick and Marilyn Boyer. These are wonderful books. When I find a book I really like and one that I really enjoy I usually reread it several times, always finding something new each time. I had thought about making a post about my favorite books. Katie and I were at the bookshelf trying to pull them all out and then I realized I could go on and on. I thought I could just pick a few but there are just too many. So I think I will just slowly throw in a title here and there on the few posts that I make. I enjoy reading books with Sammy after the kids go to bed. We enjoy talking about the different things that the author points out. In the past we have went through Keeping Our Children's Hearts and then Raising Godly Tomatoes. He has been reading and now finished another book that he would read to me and now I need to go ahead and read it all the way through. Sometimes these books are hard to read. Not because they are boring but because they speak the truth to us. That can be hard to hear. What I really like about the books by the Maxwell family is that they apply everything to scripture. I can spend hours in books. Sammy has noticed this and even though he also loves great books he always reminds me to make sure I am spending as much or more time reading the Bible as I do all these other books. So let's not forget the Bible is by far the best book. Reading through it shows us exactly how we need to parent our children. Monday afternoon we were able to catch up with an old friend and her children for lunch. This person is older than me and has raised several and still has several to go. She is an encourager. I talked about a few things I struggle with pertaining to the kids and homeschooling and with her wise words she gave me a great idea. Just enjoy it!!! This was the second time in a matter of days that I had heard these words from veteran homeschoolers. I had to make a call to Gateway, the school we are registered with, and I was told the same thing. Maybe when my kids are adults I will be able to return the favor and be an encourager to a younger Mom. So next I will plan to start sharing my favorite books with others that could also enjoy them. Looking forward to the weekend. The girls are planning on all kinds of Valentine treats for us to bake. Hope there will be a cheesecake in all that baking. My favorite!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Missy thank you for your sweet comment
    on my blog. Your family is so precious.

    Robin
    Just a family,
    drop by again maybe the crew will
    be up and well soon..

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy...reading your post it made me think of how we have in common. Arthur & I read books together too. I like to reread books that as well. I look forward to hearing about the books you enjoy...wondering if there some of the ones I enjoy as well.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and your sweet family!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete